How do you choose the kind of STP (Sewage Treatment Plant) your lake needs?
- Get the levels of sewage in a lake tested
- If the lake is rain-fed, it is preferable to use wetlands or STPs to divert the sewage
- Wetlands help purify the water, control flooding and stabilize shorelines
- Sewage at a ‘medium scale’ can be processed by just being left in the open
- Larger volumes need STPs
- It is preferable to use and zero-energy STPs rather than STPs that operate on electricity dependent motors
- The STP should be installed near the inlet of the lake. If there are several inlets, the water from all these inlets should be diverted to the STP
- Only treated water must be released into the lake.